Monday, October 25, 2010

back on the wagon.


You probably wouldn't guess considering my recent incriminating photos with a certain sandwich, but about five years ago I was diagnosed with celiac's disease. This means no stuffing on Thanksgiving, no timbits at the airport in Toronto, no beer and no pizza. Needless to say, when I get busy or when things get stressful, I'm much less careful about what I eat and my well being is on the back burner.  


It was brought to my attention that Betty Crocker has a gluten free cake mix, so last week I stopped by the market and picked up the yellow cake mix to try with this banana coconut icing recipe. The mix was pretty good, but it was still way more dense than the delicious gluten version. I don't think anything gluten free will be as good as the "real" thing, and there are certain gluten free alternatives, like hamburger buns, that I'll never choose because the taste of the gluten free option isn't worth it just for the sake of eating a bun with my hamburger. 


If only I could stay in a kitchen all day, creating the perfect gluten free alternatives to my favorite foods (think pizza, pie, timbits).  Until then I'll stick to banh-mi tacos, and away from the bread basket at dinner.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...