Tuesday, December 7, 2010

conquered.


In my senior year of high school I managed to talk my parents into letting me take a part time job at a recently opened gym.  This meant as many spin classes as my heart desired and my legs could take. Unfortunately, it also meant being familiar with all of the other fitness classes, and that included step aerobics.  I dreaded that class more than anything and I did everything to avoid it until I was forced to take it. Begrudgingly I forwent a spin class, walked through those intimidating glass doors, set up my steps and hoped it wasn't obvious I had no idea what I was doing.  The first few minutes were great and I started feeling the tiniest bit of confidence creeping up until I went to step off the step in a particularly difficult sequence and plop, I fell flat on my behind.  Completely embarrassed, I managed to make it through the rest of the class and bolted straight home afterwards. I want to tell you it was the middle of winter, that I ran out of the gym in my shorts and tank top, that it was immediately after an ice storm and there was no way I could actually "bolt" home in that kind of weather, but it would be purely for effect, since I can't remember what time of year it was.  But we'll say it was winter anyway.  I  avoided high impact aerobic classes for years until yesterday when I made it through my first high impact aerobics class in almost 10 years.  I punched and kicked until my arms felt like jello and my legs were this close to colliding with one another. I might have left as the class began to warm down, but my parking validation was going to run out and I still wanted to do some ab work before I left, so I felt it was justified.   Even if my punches were wimpy and my kicks weren't as high as the instructors it felt good to stay in the class longer than 10 minutes. Maybe next I'll work on my fear of balloons (yes, I know ... you don't have to say anything.)

I promise you I'm not as healthy as it might appear, I promptly went home and consumed a giant piece of milk chocolate from my Laura Secord advent calender (and it was not the last piece of chocolate I enjoyed yesterday).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...